There is much talk about this project led by the Provincial Government of Málaga, but what is the Coastal Path?

With the collaboration of the Ministry of Agriculture, the Department of Agriculture of the Andalusian Regional Government, the coastal municipalities’ associations, and the 14 municipalities along the Málaga coast, the Coastal Path is a project aimed at continuously connecting the entire province’s coastline, from Nerja in La Axarquía to Manilva on the Costa del Sol.

With 167 sections, the goal is to link the various existing structures in the form of trails, lanes, and seaside promenades with new connections.

What percentage of the coastal trail is passable?

The project, although of immense importance, is not as monumental as it may initially seem, as approximately 80% of the Malaga coastline is already accessible with the structures currently in place. In other words, the project aims to complete the remaining 20% with new connections.

It is an ambitious and long-term project. It is not expected to be completed within 5 years (projects of this nature are known to start but not always clear on when they will conclude), as some of the coastal sections that need to be revamped to turn them into connections for the trail present significant challenges (cliff areas being the most complicated, as is logical).

In addition to providing a trekking and cycling route that spans the entire Malaga coastline, the Coastal Path is also an investment that will benefit businesses in the hospitality sector of all kinds, as well as sports and active tourism companies.

Significant heritage and environmental importance.

The Coastal Path is a strong commitment to the environment, enabling people to explore the Malaga coastline through treks and also through bike lanes, although the latter still represent a very small percentage of the available trails.

The Coastal Path route will allow its users to visit many of the natural treasures found along the province’s coastline, such as the mouth of the Guadalhorce River, the Vélez River delta, the Artola Dunes, Punta Chullera, Cuervo Rock, or the Cantales de La Araña.

The path will also offer its users the opportunity to admire significant examples of the province’s historical and artistic heritage, such as the Phoenician archaeological sites in Vélez Málaga or the nearly 42 watchtowers along the coasts.

Which cities does the coastal path pass through?

The Coastal Path starts in the municipality of Manilva and ends in Nerja (or vice versa, depending on how you look at it). It then passes through the municipalities of the Costa del Sol: Casares, Estepona, Marbella, Mijas Costa, Fuengirola, Benalmádena, and Torremolinos until it reaches the capital, Málaga.

From Málaga, it continues through La Axarquía, passing through the municipalities of Rincón del Victoria, Vélez, Algarrobo, and Torrox, until it reaches Nerja.

What is the difficulty level of the Coastal Path?

The difficulty of the Coastal Path is classified into three categories based on its continuity of transit: high, medium, and low.

The high continuity sections are those that are already available: bridges, crossings, sidewalks, trails, pathways, bike lanes, and promenades. They account for 73% of the path.

The medium continuity sections are those that are already passable but require certain modifications, such as beaches, narrow paths, or boundaries with undeveloped areas. They make up 15% of the total.

Finally, the low continuity sections are those that are not yet passable and require high-difficulty interventions, such as narrow shoulders, cliffs, or areas with residential buildings. They account for 12% of the total.

In the not-so-distant future, the Málaga Coastal Path will be one of the main attractions of the most touristy Andalusian province, a route that will allow you to explore its beautiful Mediterranean coastline in all its splendor and without interruptions.